Family Law isn’t limited to issues that arise when people separate. You may need a Family Lawyer for these matters concerning children:
• Proceedings involving grandparents and other family/whanau members
• Acting for parents when Child, Youth and Family (CYF) are involved
• Obtaining parenting orders for CYF caregivers ("Home For Life")
• Paternity applications
• Applications by fathers or grandparents for guardianship of a child
• Adoption applications
A significant proportion of a specialist Family Lawyer’s work is to do with property, such as:
• “Pre-nuptial” property sharing agreements
• Overturning unfair relationship property settlement agreements.
• Challenging wills of deceased relatives
• Protection of Personal and Property Rights proceedings and Enduring Powers of Attorney
• Applications to review decisions by the Commissioner for Inland Revenue concerning child support
In the above situations, you will almost certainly benefit from a specialist family lawyer’s advice.